photo FLORALHEADER2_zpsd0535b2f.png

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

notebook review: Field Notes

Today I have the pleasure of reviewing Field Notes notebooks, durably made in the USA.  Dawson from Field Notes sent me the three-pack Shelterwood notebooks and the mixed three-pack (it contains one ruled notebook, one graph notebook, and one blank notebook.)

 
The size, 3x5 inches, is a bit small for me to use as an actual journal, but it's perfect for sticking in your pocket or a purse while you are out an about and need to write down thoughts or observations, but don't have your full-sized journal with you. That is what I will be using them for.


 Dawson also included Field Notes paraphernalia (thank you!),
a pen, pencil, and pretty awesome Field Notes rubber band.


 My cat thinks she is my personal journal review helper
It took some shoving to get her off the table so I could continue taking pictures.


 
 I very much liked the Shelterwood notebooks.


The Shelterwood covers are actually made of--guess what?--wood. 
No, really. It's actually and literally American Cherry wood 
(but of course it doesn't feel like a board or anything). How neat is that?


 The pages are a lovely cream color. 
As you can see, I have tested all of my regular pens.


 
 The Sharpie and Pilot pens didn't really bleed through (although there is some shadow), 
but the Uni-Ball and the Sharpie did have some actual bleed through onto the other side. 


 This is a great little pack of notebooks--you get a bit of everything. 


 The covers are very smooth, but not as thick or as rugged feeling as the Shelterwood cover.


 The paper is white, and somewhat thinner than the Shelterwood paper.


 Pen testing...


 
 The see-through and bleed-through is slightly worse than the paper 
of the Shelterwood notebooks, but still manageable. 


 Each notebook features this cool form inside the front cover.


 The little blip about the notebooks, as well as the list of "practical applications" and 
the inclusion of a ruler, make the back cover quite useful indeed.


 And you have to love this. Living in the moment at its finest.


 Dawson was so generous with the amount of notebooks he included, there was plenty to share with my brothers. 
Connor, who is 8 and loves notebooks, is using one of his Field Notes for a nature notebook.

 All in all, I was very pleased with these little notebooks, and I know they will be put to good use by me and my brothers! A big thank you to Field Notes, and to Dawson, for sending me these pleasant little notebooks for review!

Check out Field Notes:
You can find out more about Field Notes on their website, purchase something from their shop, or check out their retail locations. If anything, just check out the website. It's very interesting.

Disclosure: I received these journals from Field Notes in return for my honest review of the product, and the opinions expressed in this post are my own. I was not compensated in any other way.

2 comments :

  1. Great review i was planning on buying one but unsure

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

 

All words and photographs belong to Journaling Journeys, unless otherwise stated.
Blog design by Marcia.